Friday, November 07, 2008

Appointments

A nice thing about homeschooling is that you can schedule appointments "during the day" and not worry about "missing school".

But here's the thing - you do miss school.

I try to schedule things in the afternoon, because the majority of our schoolwork is done in the morning. But it doesn't always happen that way.

I have a great schedule that we follow on most days that gets all of our work done efficiently. Until we have an appointment.

If we have an appointment during the morning, it throws the entire schedule off. So I have to figure out what to do. Because I have my mother's brain that doesn't always think in the morning, often having an appointment means skipping most everything else.

Practicing their piano is a priority. Doing part of their writing assignment for writing class is a priority. Both of these are because there are others involved with their progress (or lack thereof). So I make those a priority. Often when there's an appointment in the AM, the only thing that happens is piano practicing and their writing assignments.

I'm hoping to find a way to integrate appointments more easily into the schedule but it hasn't happened yet - I'm still hoping.

No comments: