Friday, August 11, 2006

All Done!



When Emma was about 6 months old, I started looking into Sign Language for Babies. I had always wanted to do that with my other kids and just never got around to it. I looked up signs for many of the most common "baby" activities and I would start doing them around her (eat, food, more, sleep, all done, etc)

Nothing seemed to stick. They did say that it would take months and I kept trying and trying, but nothing. So, eventually I stopped doing most of the signs - just fell out of the habit. Except for the sign for "All Done" - because it is so easy and logical. We tend to do it at the end of each meal when we are asking Emma if she is "All Done". This is the sign for "All Done"

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed Emma making a sign that perhaps was "All Done". I finally noticed earlier this week when Samantha was feeding Emma applesauce that she would take a couple of bits and then CLEARLY tell us she was "All Done" by doing the sign that she is doing above!!

So, she is finally learning to talk - if only with her hands!

3 comments:

agent713 said...

That's cool. I think sign language for babies is the neatest thing ever.

You've got a little mini-me on your hands there too. Emma looks SO much like you!!!

~Heidi

Nicole said...

We tried this with DD too. The only words we really got were "more" and "thank you." She learned really quick to use "more" but never used "thank you."

But now that she's six, it's great to be able to discreetly sign "thank you" to her when she forgets to say it. People often comment on how polite she is and I just smile and say "thank you." (Without prompting!)

tosin said...

Great job, Mom! Now maybe you can start adding some of those other signs back in. It's amazing what they pick up, isn't it?

~toemi~