Wednesday, October 08, 2008

We made CO2 today

We have been studying about the states of matter in science - solids, liquids, and gasses. I have to admit that science has just not been my favorite subject since I started homeschooling. But today's little experiment helped change my mind a little - we made Carbon Dioxide! And we "poured it"

We mixed vinegar and baking soda together in a jar and then held a match over the mouth of the jar to show the flame going on - showing the carbon dioxide in the mouth of the jar.

Then we lit a candle. We mixed the vinegar and baking soda again. I think formed a kind of "sluice" with a piece of cardboard and "poured" the Carbon Dioxide. No liquid came out, but the cardboard functioned to direct the CO2 down towards the burning candle and it put out the flame.

Really cool! If all of science was like this, I could get into it (as long as someone else gets all the supplies together in the first place - I hate having to track all the stuff down)

No comments: